An overview of Women’s and Gender Studies at the University of Granada (Spain)
Women’s and Gender Studies Institute
- Created in 1986/87.
- Is the center that deals with the multidisciplinary coordination of the research of Women, Feminist and Gender Studies with the aim of contributing to their development , promotion and disclosure.
- Carries out specialized research and teaching activities, and dissemination through its own publishing collection.
- Participates in international networks of academic cooperation with universities in the European Union, Latin America and the United States, and maintains agreements with different Spanish universities and equality bodies.
- Promote and develop scientific and technical research in the field of Women, Feminist and Gender Studies.
- Encourage collaboration and team building to promote new lines of research and to promote the gender perspective in the different areas of knowledge.
- Contract with public and private entities or with individuals to carry out relevant activities of scientific, technical or academic interest, as well as specialization, updating or training courses.
- Promote and develop Doctorate and Postgraduate Programs, in accordance with current regulations at the University of Granada.
- Disseminate the results of the research through publications, monographic courses, conference cycles and other activities, and through its own Editorial and Magazine Collection.
- Advise scientifically and technically, as well as participate in any other activity aimed at research, training, provision of services and dissemination of issues within its scope of competence.
- Establish scientific cooperation relations with other national and international University Institutes, as well as with related entities and centers.
Lines of investigation
- Gender analysis and feminised professions
- Gender relations
- The body and sexuality
- Feminist literary theory
- Evaluation and analysis of women’s Studies
- Women, family and heritage
- Feminisation of poverty
- Sources of information and women’s studies
- Gender, health, and medicine
- Gender, work, space, and power relations
- Gender and sport
- African feminism(s)
- Gender and mental health
- Gender, documentation and new technology
- Gender, work and power relations
- Gender and social inequality: migrations, development, and social wellbeing
- Gender and peace
- Gender and psychology
- Women’s history and gender relations
- Adolescents, young people, and gender relations
- Literature and feminist literary theory
- Medicine, science and gender
- Women in the plastic arts and literature
- Professionals: Female educators, doctors, social workers, scientists…
- Feminist political activists and democracy
- Feminist perspectives in social anthropology
- Scientific production and educational models created by women
- Scientific production and discourse for and by women
- Health and feminism
- Translation and feminism
Groups of investigation
Women’s Studies (HUM-603)
Objectives: Interdisciplinary research from the history, the social sciences and the epidemiology of aspects related to the life of women and the sex / gender system.
Lines of work: Spaces and power relations / Evaluation and analysis of Women’s Studies / Family and heritage / Gender, work and space. Units of domestic and extra-domestic production / Gender, work and professions / Gender and peace / Gender and health / Women and education / Scientific production of and about women
Feminist Perspectives in Social Research (SEJ-430)
Objectives: To respond from our knowledge to the existing social, institutional and business demand in relation to the achievement of gender equality.
Lines of work: Sociocultural constructions of gender: roles, identities.
Some Research Projects
GRACE(Gender and Cultures of Equality in Europe: EU Horizon2020 ETN-ITN-Marie Curie project).
Gender and architecture in ancient Roman society. Civic matronazgo in the western provinces.
Contraception, sexuality and health: memories of life and health practices in Spain during the Franco regime and the Democratic Transition (ASYS).
Gender, vulnerability and risk practices in underage drinking.
Official Doctoral Program Women’s Studies, Discourses and Gender Practices
GEMMA. Master’s Degree in Women’s and Gender Studies (10th. Ed.)
Diploma of Specialization in Gender and Health, Health and Social Services (in colaboration with EASP – Escuela Anadaluza de Salud Pública)
Dissemination of the investigation
Feminae. Collection for Women’s StudiesOur book series for gender and feminist studies. Created in 1989 in order to respond to a demand for the dissemination of feminist scientific research at Spanish Universities
Arenal: Revista de Historia de las Mujeres. Created in 1994, this scientific journal is a publication of the History of Women with a strong theoretical and methodological content that includes, in a specific way, the gender variable and also offers itself as a platform for many other related interdisciplinary fields.
Academics International Network
ERASMUS+ student mobility and teaching staff
The European Association for Gender Research, Education and Documentation is a professional organization in the field of international gender studies.
Consorcio europeo GEMMA, The Institute maintains agreements with the following universities:
- European universities: University of Lodz (Poland), University of Utrecht (Netherlands) University of Hull (United Kingdom), Central European University (CEU- Budapest, Hungary), University of Bologna (Italy)
- Non-European Universities: Rutgers. State University of New Jersey (United States), University of Buenos Aires (Argentina), State University of Campinas in Sao Paulo (Brazil), University of Chile (Santiago, Chile), International University of Florida (Miami, United States), Technological Institute of Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic), National University of Colombia (Colombia)
The Institute also maintains agreements with groups of women and gender studies of different Latin American universities: Universidad Nacional del Comahue (Argentina) and Universidad Nacional de Luján (Argentina).